• Birth certificates: If you were born in the city of Houston, you can order a new birth certificate online .
  • Driver’s licenses: If your driver’s license was lost, you can visit a DPS, fill out an application and pay a fee to have it replaced. If your address changes, you can update your information online, by mail, or in person if your license is current.
  • Social Security cards: Call the U.S. Social Security office at 800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. EST. For TTY users the number is 800-325-0778, or log onto www.ssa.gov/ssnumber for more information.
  • Passport: Call the U.S. Department of State at (877) 487-2778 or (888-874-7793 for TTY) or log onto https://www.dmv.org/replace-passport.php for more information.
  • Federal tax records: Call the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. EST, or log onto www.irs.gov.
  • SNAP card: For new applications, you may apply online at www.yourtexasbenefits.com. For a lost SNAP card or replacement benefits, visit a Texas Health and Human Services Office, which may be located here.
  • For copies of your utility bills, bank records, insurance policies, mortgage payments and the like, call the appropriate company and speak to a customer service representative.

To prevent further loss of vital documents, place the originals or copies in a sealable plastic bag or other watertight container and secure that container where it is best protected and can easily be located. It is also a good idea to make copies of vital and important documents and mail them to a friend or relative you can trust to keep them safe and retrievable.

Next Step: Mental Health